Thursday, September 29, 2011

Carlos Drummond de Andrade and the Poem Verbo Ser

Brazil, a beautiful country in South America and a great neighbor to many other countries whose language come from Latin. Along with its beautiful people and culture,there is poetry like the one below. For those of you who do not speak Portuguese, there is a Spanish translation bellow. Following, I'll attempt to translate it into English.


Carlos Drummond de Andrade was born in  1902 in Itabira (Minas Generales, Brasil) and died in Rio de Janeiro in 1987. He was regarded as one of the main contemporary poet  of his country.
 Bellow, you will find the original version of the Poem called Verbo Ser. Then, I have the translation into Spanish of the same poem.

VERBO SER

Que vai ser quando crescer?
Vivem perguntando em redor. Que é ser?
É ter um corpo, um jeito, um nome?
Tenho os três. E sou?
Tenho de mudar quando crescer? Usar outro nome, corpo e jeito?
Ou a gente só principia a ser quando cresce?
É terrível, ser? Dói? É bom? É triste?
Ser; pronunciado tão depressa, e cabe tantas coisas?
Repito: Ser, Ser, Ser. Er. R.
Que vou ser quando crescer?
Sou obrigado a? Posso escolher?
Não dá para entender. Não vou ser.
Vou crescer assim mesmo.
Sem ser Esquecer.

Verbo ser
¿Qué serás cuando crezcas?
Viven preguntando en derredor. ¿Qué es ser?
¿Es tener un cuerpo, una vocación, un nombre?
Tengo los tres. ¿Y soy?
¿Tengo que cambiar para crecer? ¿Usar otro nombre, cuerpo y vocación?
¿O la gente sólo empieza a ser cuando crece?
¿Es terrible, ser? ¿Duele? ¿Es bueno? ¿Es triste?
¿Ser: se pronuncia tan de prisa, y entran tantas cosas?
Repito: ser, ser, ser. Er. R.
¿Qué quiero ser cuando crezca? ¿Estoy obligado a? ¿Puedo escoger?
No basta con entender. No voy a ser.
No quiero ser.
Voy a crecer así mismo.
Sin ser olvidado.

Verb To BE
What are you going to be when you grow up?
Everyone ask all around.What is to be? Is it to have a body, a vocation, a name?
I have both. And am I?
Do I have to change to grow? Do I need to use another name, body and vocation?
Or does people begin to be when they are grown?
Is it terrible, to be? Does is hurt? Is it good? Is it sad?
To be: it is pronounced so rapidly, and so many things are taken into account?
I repeat: to be, to be, to be. Er. R.
What do I want to be when I grow up? Am I obligated to? Can a choose?
It is not enough to understand. I am not going to be.
I do not want to be.
I am going to grow up the same way.
Without being forgotten.

No comments: